Thursday, August 18, 2011

Ethics, Morality and Brotherly Love

Tea Pot - Is there anything wrong with this story? "I love garage sales. One time, my wife asked me to get her a tea pot. I arrived early before the garage sale opened, and was asked if I was looking for anything in particular. I said I needed a tea pot, the lady said "Sorry I don't have any...oh, wait, I do have one downstairs that was my Grandmother's I'll get it." She came back and handed me a tea pot that I recognized as a valuable antique, I asked how much she wanted for it, she said "$5.00" and I quickly said "I'll take it". Quickly gave her the money and left with my treasure."
It Was A Steal - Anything wrong with that story? Turns out the tea pot was a limited edition of a famous maker that was worth $300. Pretty nice little buy. Some might even call it a steal. I would. I realize situational ethics can be murky. I'm sure I do things that others would question as right. But if it is stealing, then it is a moral issue. And if the lady was a Christian, then that is a Love issue, isn't it? No? Than what is it, good business?
Illustration - On another level something is wrong with this story because I heard it told introducing a sermon on the parable of the hidden treasure. The speaker was conveying the joy the worker had in selling everything he had in order to purchase the field. Wow. I was intending only to listen to the beginning of this message, but once he told this story I had to listen to the whole 40 minutes hoping he would confess and somehow explain how he returned it, but no such luck. I guess he thought it was okay.
Screw Your Neighbour - Since when is it okay to take advantage of the naive for our own gain? Does God provide for us as we manipulate the good will of others? We used to play a card game where the goal was to hurt the person on your left and right. Uno is a game where you can do the same with anyone in the game. Not really a Biblical idea.
Serve - We may disagree on the specifics here but we agree that serving others is the best choice. After all, the "life that truly is life" is what we really want to take hold of.

No comments:

Post a Comment