Friday, July 23, 2010

To Believe Or Not To Believe

Do You Or Don't You - Belief stems from an original desire. Do you want to believe? If you want to believe, chances are you will find much to support your premise along the way. If you don't want to believe, you will not be disappointed by the amount of material to enable your disbelief. What's your desire?

Yours, Mine, Ours - Isn't it something how right we can be? I had a visit this week from a candidate wanting my vote. Second only to theology, is my desire to debate politics (I am kidding of course). He wasn't interested in what I believe the state government should do. He didn't come to my door to invite me into his circle of advisers. He came to my door to assure me that he was right. The trouble is... I don't care. I know that seems harsh. But I really don't.

God Is Dead - It is always shocking when you hear someone say this. But you can't deny that there is usually much in the person's world to support their claim. Who am I to argue with them? Emptiness, guilt, despair, hedonism, folly, ignorance, broken relationships... do you get the feeling the list could go on and on? What in their life rejects their belief? They are sure they are right. Trouble is I don't care.

He Was Dead - The message of the Followers. The belief of the First Century Christians. The proposition of every sermon in the first few chapters of Acts. Fortunately, the first disciples cared. Purpose, forgiveness, peace, joy, wisdom, restored relationships... the list does go on and on. Death is a harsh reality. Yet life was given over and over and over again.

What's It Going To Be? - I want to believe! I haven't been disappointed. Every turn seems to provide a different view of what I hope. Each day provides support for what I feel. All roads point to what I know. Do I care? Will anyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment