Thursday, March 18, 2010

2010 Census

Every Ten Years Or So - My census form came in the mail yesterday, so did yours. I sat down this morning over coffee and filled it out. It took less than five minutes to complete. This was my third census, I am so glad I don't have to travel back to Milwaukee every ten years. They ask for five minutes of my time every ten years or so.

But, They Really Would Like To Know - I get the impression that Hispanic race is at the center of someones curiosity. Evidently they haven't been counting at the border as well as they should. I guess it makes sense to want to know how our country is made up, or does it? No questions about who has a job, whether you have health insurance, or a college fund for your kids. "Why would you think I am Hispanic?" "You've been taking us to all those Mexican restaurants." "That was because you were black."

Leverage Your Influence - Before I got the mail at home, I got a post card from the census bureau at the church. They would like me to encourage you to promptly fill out your census response form. Civics class taught us that voting is our privilege and right as Americans. Now there is some great material for impassioned challenges to motivate our young people to vote. Yet voter turnout is mostly embarrassing. What do you suppose the census response will end up being? After all, how do you motivate the American spirit for this one? "This is why all those young men & women have given their lives...." what, so I can count how many people live in my house and determine their skin color?

Red and Yellow, Black and White - So here it is: Please take (less than) five minutes, fill out and return your 2010 census form. Be a good sport. There must be a good reason for it. ALSO - If you happen to find someone living under your roof that you didn't know about, there is a place to declare them, too. Though the majority of time it would be inappropriate to ask... please get their race right. All are precious in His sight.

Who Can Be Counted On - Every team has a roster. Every class has an enrollment. Every army has an enlistment. Every business has a payroll. Even our country takes a census and requires voter enumeration. The church should take note... Who is in? Down? On Board? For us? With us? There is a good reason to want to know... now, I've got to get my tax return done.

No comments:

Post a Comment